All Day HANDS-ON Lab
- Laptop with Rational Developer for I (RDi) installed.
- The trial version can be downloaded here – https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/downloads/r/rdi/
- Some programming experience.
This combined lecture and lab will show the attendee how to take a traditional subfile program and convert the disk I/O to SQL then move this database I/O to a service program. This decoupling of the UI (5250 Subfile) allows the service program to be used as a web service. The session will take the attendee through the process of developing a SQL/Service program based CRUD application using Free Form RPG and RDi’s (Remote Systems Explorer and Screen Designer).
The seasoned IBM i programmer will benefit by using new RPG programming techniques and have additional exposure to RDi’s Remote Systems Explorer (RSE) and Screen Designer. Even a person new to IBM i development can benefit because the source code is available to them which will help them use Rational Developer for i (RDi) and write “Free Form” ILE RPG.
- Developing 5250 Screens with RDi’s Screen Designer.
- Internalize the use of Free Format RPG operations and functions.
- Understand the use of SQL in an RPG Service program.
- Use of subprocedures, modules and service programs in modern RPG applications.