Half Day RDi/RPG Hands-On Lab
This combined lecture and lab will show the attendee how a Screen/Report program can be driven by an SQL Service program that handles the database I/O. By decoupling the screen/report output from the database, the service program may be used as a web service. The session demonstrates to the attendee the process of developing a SQL/Service program-based application using Free Form RPG and RDi’s (Remote Systems Explorer and Print/Screen Designer). There will be access to an IBM i system and sample code for the adventurous attendee. Be sure to install RDi before the day of the lab and contact Jim with any questions!
The seasoned IBM i programmer will benefit by using new RPG programming techniques and have additional exposure to RDi’s Remote Systems Explorer (RSE) and Print/Screen Designer. Even a person new to IBM i development can benefit because the source code is available to them which will help them use Rational Developer for i (RDi) and write “Free Form” ILE RPG.
- Internalize the use of Free Format RPG operations and functions.
- Understand the use of SQL in an RPG Service program.
- Use of subprocedures, modules and service programs in modern RPG applications.
- Laptop with Rational Developer for i (RDi) 9.6.x must be installed on the laptop
- Trial version can be downloaded here – https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/downloads/r/rdi/
- Arrangements can be made to install RDi the night before – Contact Jim Buck at email@example.com